- Mailing Address
1005 State University Dr.
Fort Valley, Georgia 31030
- (478) 825-6520
- Email address
- School Information
- "Fort Valley State University is where talented students come simply for the opportunity to be brilliant. Located in the heart of Georgia, FVSU combines the personal attention and family feel of a small, private college with the resources and research found at large public universities. Located on the second largest acreage of any Georgia university, it is the only university in the world which at once is a University System of Georgia institution, a historically black university, and an 1890 land-grant institution, with a directive to use knowledge to improve the lives of students and non-students alike. Leveraging the reputation for excellence FVSU has built since 1895, the university is preparing students to embrace their genius as future global leaders and enabling discovery which will make real that only now imagined. That's why our motto and tagline is 'empower the possible'" (Source: https://www.fvsu.edu/aboutfvsu). The total enrollment is nearly 2,800 students, of which 2,300 are undergraduate. The school has a student to faculty ratio of 26 to 1 with over 90 faculty.
- General Information
- FVSU held numerous events for racial equity and diversity. In addition, the university recently joined the National Educational Alliance's initiative for racial equity. At this time, no mandatory Critical Race Training is being implemented. However, see developments below:
On June 23, 2020, FVSU released a statement alongside other HBCUs in Georgia, stating, “As a Black man in America, I can relate to the feelings of hopelessness regarding our justice system in the United States and how it is often unfair and tilted against people of color. I am not immune to society’s ills because I enjoy the privilege of being a university president. I say to those who have resisted engaging in this matter, I call on you to join us in saying enough is enough. Racism is tearing away the very fabric of our country. It is taking its toll on us all, so we all share the responsibility of making things better.”
On September 17, 2015, FVSU held a Policing and Race Forum where "local law enforcement officers from Fort Valley State University and the Middle Georgia community spoke to university students about the challenges of policing and the perception of racial bias during a Policing and Race Panelist held forum on campus recently."
Critical Race Training Courses Offered
- CRJU 3101 Minorities, Crime and Social Policy
- PSYC 4073 Cross-Cultural Psychology
- SOCI 3025 Social Policy
- SOCI 4080 Population and Society
- COMM 1110 Public Speaking
- EDUC 2120 Exploring Socio-Cultural Perspectives on Diversity in Educational Contexts
- MNGT 3103 Principles of Management
- SOCI 2008 Cultural Diversity