- Mailing Address
800 GSW State University Dr.
Americus, Georgia 31709
- (229) 928-1273
- Email address
- School Information
- "Georgia Southwestern State University (GSW) is a world-class, four-year institution that offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees. Located on 250 scenic acres in historic Americus, Georgia, our campus is full of culture, history, passion, and prestige. Since 1906, GSW has provided an elevated educational experience for individuals all across Georgia, from each corner of the US, and from countries around the world. That diversity means our students engage with people from all walks of life who are ready to earn their way forward. Our small class sizes foster an emphasis on faculty and student interaction, and our administration and staff prioritize academic success and a spirited college experience" (Source: https://www.gsw.edu/about/). GSW's student to faculty ratio is 17 to 1 and the total students enrolled is approximately 3,000.
- General Information
- GSW outlined its Diversity Commitment which involves the implementation of DEI through recruitment and retention as well as through a curriculum review. At this time, no mandatory Critical Race Training is being implemented. However, see developments below:
Curriculum Changes and Requirements
GSW is part of the "Southwest Georgia Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation consortium which is "designed to aid in the diversification of the nation's science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) workforce by increasing the number of STEM-related degrees earned by underrepresented minority (URM) students."
GSW has a Diversity Commitment which states that "a commitment to diversity means a commitment to the inclusion, safety, and support of individuals from all groups." To support this goal, the university has a Council on Diversity and Behavioral Intervention Team for "corrective measures."
Critical Race Training Courses Offered
- CRJU 3800 Race, Ethnicity and Crim Just
- SOCI 4411 Race and Minority Relations
- COMM 4545 Issues in Comm and Media Studies
- EDEC 3400 Teaching in Elementary Educ
- EDEC 3450 Org and Manag Elem Edu Classroom
- EDEC 3650 Integrated Elem Educ Curr
- EDRG 3160 Strat Tchg Early Literacy
- EDRG 3260 Strat Tchg Intermediate Litera
- EDUC 2120 Explr Socio-Cult Per Div in Ed
- EDUC 3400 Learner in Multicultural Conte