- Mailing Address
410 Ouachita St.
Arkadelphia, Arkansas 71998
- (870) 245-5000
- School Information
- "As a nationally ranked liberal arts university, there’s no doubt you’ll get a great education at Ouachita. But did you know your preparation reaches beyond lectures and textbooks? Our low 13:1 student-to-faculty ratio means personal connections with professors and no impersonal lecture halls. It also means networking opportunities that could help launch your future career. You’ll engage with students from across the nation and around the world who bring their diverse backgrounds and passions with them to share. Add to the mix faculty members and guest lecturers who are top scholars in their fields, and you’ll leave here prepared for reasoned engagement with the world. Not sure what you want to study? No pressure. Our unique “Discover” program will help you find the right major for you" (Source: https://obu.edu/). Founded in 1886, Ouachita Baptist University has a student to faculty ratio of 12 to 1. The university offers over 60 academic programs with a total undergraduate enrollment of over 1,600.
- General Information
- The university has created Multicultural Student Programs. In addition, the school now offers its Social Justice Studies Program. Several courses discussing race and diversity are offered, especially for students studying Education. At this time, no mandatory critical race training is required. However, see developments below:
Program and Research Funding
On November 22, 2021, the university highlighted a student who was a recipient of the $25,000 Advancing Diversity in Dietetics Scholarship awarded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Foundation in order "to advance inclusion, diversity, equity and access for dietetics students to increase racial and ethnic diversity in the field."
Curriculum Changes and Requirements
On July 22, 2020, in response to how, "this summer, millions of Americans and people from dozens of countries posted to social media, marched, and signed petitions against systematic racism," the University created its Social Justice Studies Program.
Critical Race Training Courses Offered
- SOCI 2053 Race, Class, and Gender
- EDFN/INTL 2043 Teaching Students from Multilingual and Diverse Backgrounds
- BUAD 3103 Global Business
- ECED 4043 Practicum in Early Childhood Education and Classroom Management
- MSED 4523 Practicum in Education Grades 4-8
- ISAS 3033 Cross-Cultural Ministry
- ELED 3023 Teaching of Social Studies