- Mailing Address
P.O. Box 13051, SFA Station
Nacogdoches, Texas 75962
- (936) 468-2504
- Email address
- School Information
- "Stephen F. Austin State University is a comprehensive, regional institution located in Nacogdoches, Texas. The university enrolls approximately 13,000 students and offers 83 undergraduate majors and 120 areas of study within six academic colleges - business, education, fine arts, forestry and agriculture, sciences and mathematics, and liberal and applied arts. SFA offers degree programs both online and on its beautifully wooded campus nestled in the heart of Texas Forest Country. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, SFA is ranked a Tier 1 Regional University by U.S. News and World Report. SFA provides the academic breadth of a state university with the personalized attention of a private school. With a student-to-faculty ration of 19:1 and an average class size of 26, professors get to know their students and provide classroom instruction tailored to each student's needs and goals. Smaller classes combined with hands-on study, internships and research opportunities give students valuable experience that translates to their chosen career paths" (Source: https://www.linkedin.com/school/sfasu). SFA was founded in 1923 and features 519 full-time faculty.
- General Information
- SFASU has created a Diversity and Inclusion Certification Program. In addition, training and workshops are offered through the Office of Multicultural Affairs. Numerous events, such as Diversity Week, have been held. Furthermore, SFASU created a George Floyd Scholarship. See developments below:
Anti-Racism, Bias, and Diversity Training
The school's Counseling Services Department released a Diversity and Inclusion Statement and has committed to "increasing our understanding of how racism manifests in our cultures and having open conversations, attending trainings and reading books on a wide range of issues." Furthermore, "each counselor is engaged in the Office of Multicultural Affairs Diversity and Inclusion Certification Program."
In Fall of 2020, Lumberjack Culture Association and the Office of Multicultural Affairs presented the Tunnel of Oppression, which is an "interactive museum which spotlights different forms of oppression through interactive theatre and multimedia presentations."
The Nelson Rusche College of Business has crafted a Commitment to Diversity statement.
Critical Race Training Courses Offered
- SOC 139 Race and Ethnic Relations
- SOC 473 Women of Color
- CJS 365 Social Diversity and Crime
- HMS 430 Family Policy
- SOC 362 Work in the 21st Century
- SED 370 Sociocultural and Historic Perspectives in American Education
- SUS 350 Sustainable Community Assessment Planning
- SWK 425 Multicultural Social Work
- BCM 447 Organizational Communication
- MGT 370 Management Principles
- SUS 300 Sustainability Literature
- ECH 432 Advocacy in Early Childhood
- HMS 485 Management of the Diverse Hospitality Workforce