- Mailing Address
501 Crescent Street
Wintergreen Building, Room 114
New Haven, Connecticut 06515
- (203) 392-5644
- Email address
- School Information
- "Since its founding on Sept. 11, 1893, Southern Connecticut State University has served the community through a commitment to access, academic excellence, social justice and student success" (Source: https://go.southernct.edu/125/). The student to faculty ratio is 12 to 1 and the total enrollment is approximately 9,300. The university offers 226 undergraduate majors, minors and programs as well as 102 graduate programs.
- General Information
- The university has launched numerous initiatives for anti-racism. The university has sought to implement anti-racist teaching within its curriculum. Diversity and equity training is offered to faculty and employees and will become more widespread in the coming years. See developments below:
Curriculum Changes and Requirements
The members of RIJG recently made the Racial and Intersectional Justice Engagement Framework which works on "Anti-Racist Curriculum, Pedagogy, SJD" to "implement the Social Justice Designation as well as encourage faculty to revise existing courses to be more inclusive of Black and Brown voices and move toward anti-racist teaching practices."
The university made a 2020-2023 report for "Advancing Southern Towards a Social Justice and Anti-Racist University." One goal outlined is to "establish an Antiracist Student Advisory Group comprised of students from multicultural organizations, student government, and other student organizations to help inform, guide, and strategize how best to move forward and sustain anti-racist and social justice work on campus."
On June 11, 2020, the university released a statement in response to George Floyd's death saying, "In recent days, the senseless, brutal killing of George Floyd and its ripple effects have placed the issues of racial inequality and injustice under an intense spotlight across the state, the nation, and around the world."
Critical Race Training Courses Offered
- CSC/PHI 324 Computer Ethics
- CMD 398 Communication Disorders in Multicultural Populations
- CSP 578 Social and Cultural Diversity
- EDU 322 Family, School, and Community
- EDU 325 Best Practices in Classroom Management
- EDU 415 Responsive Curriculum and Assessment
- ENG 217 Introduction to Literature
- ENG 218 Comics
- ENG 219 Time and Place in Literature
- ENG 372 Young Adult Literature
- JRN 240 Race and the News
- PCH 398 Social Justice and Health Disparities
- PSC 398 Institutional Racism in the US Legal System
- SOC 310 Racial and Ethnic Relations
- SOC 398 Neighborhoods and Crime
- THR 298 Devised Theatre